Wednesday, October 29, 2008

horrible.

horrible.
horrible.
horrible day.

Today was one of those days where I wish I had a large sound-proof room where I could scream loudly and no-one would hear me.

I've realised I hate Disney Princesses. They sit around, waiting for someone to come along and save them.
Why didn't Snow White get rid of her own evil step mother?
Ariel had to get the evil sea-witch Ursula (who I happen to love) to get rid of her tail. Why would she even do that though!? I've always wished I was a mermaid.
Cinderella only found her prince using the Fairy Godmother (who I also happen to love) and even then he had to search the kingdom for someone with the exact same shoe size as the glass slipper.

Princesses and their Princes Pictures, Images and Photos

Is this really the message we want to be sending young children?!
Geez, I am in a weird mood.
I like Belle though. The one that couldn't keep her head out of a book. The one that fell in love with the beast even when he was so ugly and scary.
And I actually really like 'Sleeping Beauty'.

1 comment:

Cyndy said...

Walt Disney had a very patriarchal tendency to make his princesses helpless, as was fairly common in the dark ages of the 1960's & 1970's when so many of the Disney movies were made. Even his baddies were a bit sugar-coated so that they weren't so scary.

The later heroines, like Belle, & Princess Jasmine were more independent & stronger.

For me, the idea of being dependent upon a Prince to ride along & rescue me gives me the willies....

If I sound old Bianca, it's because I am, b ut I liked this post. ;0)